The Journey of Little Rosanne Rosannadanna

Please follow along as my new puppy, Rosanne Rosannadanna, learns all about life, the universe and everything.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

ROSANNE ROSANNADANNA: Crate Training Pt. 1

TUESDAY, OCT. 19, 2010
Finally, I am back home for a while - home with my boys and my puppy! She had another rousing great time with Auntie Lynn and Big Cousin Ziva. There was a five-month-old WireHaired Pointing Griffon at Auntie Lynn's (named Mia) but Mia would not play with little Rosanne Rosannadanna.

This morning was her first Sit-for-Food session. I had her bowl of puppy food in my hand. Rosanne offered a sit, I lowered the bowl. If she got up from the sit, the bowl stopped right where it was while I waited for her to resume a sit. The bowl stopped 3 or 4 times until she caught on and held her little sit for a count of 3. I then rushed the bowl to the floor and cued "OK" (to release her from the sit - this is the start of release cue training).

We went to Auntie Lynn's house today to do video work, have a play fest and to let Rosanne know that she doesn't get left at Lynn's every time we go there. Rosanne did some official shaping to go into a crate (bottom only) which I videoed. I did have to (re-) learn that five-treat sessions are best and especially best for young puppies. In my zeal to do video, my sessions were just a tad too long and Rosanne kindly informed me of that clause in her contract. I also had an opportunity to see what happens when she gets no-click - she took off. I like to teach concepts more than behaviors at first. Understanding click/no-click is more important to me than shaping her into the crate right away.



Rosanne did video with Lynn shaping her to go to a mat. This is for a video project to catalog the behaviors I teach at the Gym in the Start Right program so that students have a video reference for what they work on in class.

We then had a big play fest with Joey and Ziva - hoping that Joey's love for play with Ziva might carry over to play-interest in Rosanne. It didn't. Ziva and Joey ran fast and hard and Rosanne hauled her little butt as fast as she could to keep up with them. But alas, Joey did not develop any interest in Rosanne as a potential playmate. *sigh*

Rosanne then had a big nap at home in her play pen while I worked in my office. We had a car ride for some errands today too. Nice getting back to a routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment