The Journey of Little Rosanne Rosannadanna

Please follow along as my new puppy, Rosanne Rosannadanna, learns all about life, the universe and everything.

Monday, October 4, 2010

ROSANNE ROSANNADANNA: First Measured Training

This morning we did four training sessions in a row during our morning office time. For these training sessions I used the Access database I created, logged her sessions, then created a report of the training sessions so far today. Here are the details of those training sessions:
=========================================================
Start Right : SIT LEVEL 2
SESSION GOAL: Cue sits and get response
SESSION SETUP: I am sitting at my computer. Using puppy kibble.
I WILL CLICK FOR: Butt starting to lower to ground.
SESSION DATA: 10/10 successful. Cues were given before she could offer a sit.
SESSION NOTES: She often sat immediately but a few times she moved a step or two beefore sitting. Response to cue was excellent. I believe she's had this on cue prior to coming to me.
NEXT TIME I WILL: Give the cue when she is standing still and vary my position.


Start Right : SIT LEVEL 2
SESSION GOAL: To vary my position when cueing sit and to click for standing.
SESSION SETUP: In office, sitting, standing, bending over, 2 different places in the space. Using puppy kibble.
I WILL CLICK FOR: Butt hitting ground when cued and standing when not cued.
SESSION DATA: 10/10 with good response, one offered sit. Twice added in a hand touch (cued). CTd several times in a row for standing.
SESSION NOTES: she is very quick to offer sits. I did manage to cue several times while she was standing for a nano-second. The use of hand target gave her something to do and stay on her feet which helped. We need a LOT more work on this!

Start Right : DOWN LEVEL 1
SESSION GOAL: Capture downs while playing with the pink octopus toy. When I release the toy for her to have, she tends to lie down with it. I am offering the toy to play with her only when she is on her feet (i.e. not sitting).
SESSION SETUP: Sitting in office chair. Using puppy kibble.
I WILL CLICK FOR: lying down.
SESSION DATA: 10 treats counted out. 7 times she laid down with the toy after I let go of it. 3 she didn't, she eventually sat.

Start Right : NAME GAME LEVEL 2
SESSION GOAL: To reinforce turn when she hears her name.
SESSION SETUP: Sitting in my office chair. I am placing the treat 2 or 3 feet away so she is turned away from me to eat it. Using puppy kibble.
I WILL CLICK FOR: Head turn
SESSION DATA: 10/10 responses to cue "Rosanne"
SESSION NOTES: She had awesome head-whips some times and not so awesome other times.
NEXT TIME I WILL: Use higher value food for this. Try to click first part of head turn.

=============================================================

I have to find an easier way to get information from the report! I had a lot of re-formatting to do in order to post the above in a blog. Will work on that! That was four good little training sessions in a row I must say.

One of the important things to note here is the importance of stating out loud or on paper *ahead of time* what you will click for. Too many times we tend to get sloppy with our criteria in a training session and end up confusing the animal. State the criterion and then follow through by clicking ONLY for that criterion. If it turns out that your animal is getting it wrong three times in a row, abort, make a new plan, state a new criterion (split behavior into a small chunk) and start anew.

After the last one, she was way too intent on chewing up the throw rug in my office so she had to go back to the Puppy Palace. I'll have to change out the throw rug to one without fringe. Plus get better chewies for the office. Or put her on the waist leash tether.

VET LOBBY VISIT

We had a second puppy visit to the vet's lobby today. Rosanne got to meet (and be held by and cuddled by) two more vet techs. My other two dogs board at the vet's when I travel. The two today know my other dogs quite well and were very disappointed that Rosanne would not be boarding there this weekend.

She now weighs 8.8 lbs so apparently I am feeding her enough. I have been wondering about that because I use her food for training. I try to religiously measure it out and get her puppy kibble into a separate bait bag. But the reality is that a lot of other training treats get mixed into the bait bag or get fed to her. Plus I grab whatever I can reach for the other two dogs. Thus, I end up not really sure if she's getting her full 1/4 cup three times a day.

Today I counted out a 1/4 of her puppy kibble - approximately 100 pieces. That will help somewhat. When I do measured training sessions, I'll know how much I have used. It's the "on the fly" training that takes place all day long that I really don't have a handle on as far as quantity.

Friday, I am leaving for Modesto for a seminar and will be back on Monday. It really pains me to think of leaving her so soon. I will have barely had her for 10 days by that time. She will be in *good* hands, though - she'll be with Auntie Lynn and Big Cousin Ziva. Lynn better send me video clips! :) Lynn does board-and-train and sends the owners of the BNT dogs video clips of their progress so surely a worried puppy mum will get a couple, right?

2 comments:

  1. You are still following the older version of the training levels, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen!

    I am not sure yet what I will be testing to. I can't seem to figure out the testing criteria for the new version so, until that becomes clearer, I will probably stay with the old version.

    Right now I am training her to the KPA curriculum. This is a set of behaviors, each with a level. These "levels" are finely split training steps and do not correlate to the manner of the Training Levels. Helix

    ReplyDelete